In keeping with the U.S. Government-sponsored initiatives dedicated to promoting greater understanding with countries in Eurasia, the competition for the FLEX scholarship is merit-based and open at no cost to all applicants who meet the following requirements.
Eligible applicants must:
- Meet the age/grade* requirement set for their country:
- In Moldova students in the 9th, 10th and 11th grades, born after 1 January 1997 and through 15 July 1999
- Be enrolled in a secondary school at the time of application
- Have an academic standing of "good" or better
- Have previously studied English and demonstrate English language ability at the time of registration
- Meet U.S. visa eligibility requirements
- Be a citizen of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan or Ukraine and able to receive an international (zagran) passport in the country where they apply to the program.
* Students who change their grade level to an ineligible grade before their departure to the United States will be disqualified.
Students are ineligible to apply if:
- S/he does not meet the above criteria
- S/he has stayed in the U.S. for three (3) months or more during the past five (5) years
- His/her family (or member of family): has applied or is applying to emigrate to the United States has made plans to emigrate or has already emigrated to the United States.