“Is It Write or Right?” Spelling Contest Brings Together 180 Moldovan High-school Students
October, 22 2014
On the 16th Anniversary of American Councils Moldova, Access Microscholarship Program organized the "Is It Write or Right?" spelling contest in 8 regions of the country. The main goal of this action was to promote education and English literacy among Moldovan students.
180 high-school students from Balti, Ungheni, Calarasi, Chisinau, Bender, Cimislia, Comrat and Cahul, entered the contest, trying to show excellent spelling skills and English proficiency. The works of the participants were evaluated by the Access Alumni who were of great help in the organization of this event in their communities.
The students whose works proved to be the most accurate, and who became the winners of the spelling contest are the following:
1. Catalina Habasescu - "V. Alecsandri" Th. Lyceum, Balti;
2. Diana Caducenco - "V. Alecsandri" Th. Lyceum, Ungheni;
3. Viorica Gavrilita- "M. Sadoveanu" Th. Lyceum, Calarasi;
4. Marina Sfecla- "Prosucces" Th. Lyceum, Chisinau;
5. Valeria Postolachi- "M. Eminescu" Th. Lyceum, Chisinau;
6. Bogdan Vezetiu- "Al. cel Bun" Th. Lyceum, Bender;
7. Sergiu Cevali- "M. Eminescu" Th. Lyceum, Cimislia;
8. Alexandra Plahotniuc- "G. Gaidarji" Th. Lyceum, Comrat;
9. Mihai Gisca- "M. Eminescu" Th. Lyceum, Cahul.
For encouraging their love for the English language, all the winners received Jack London's book- "To Build a Fire", a gift from the U.S. Embassy to Moldova, signed by the Assistant Public Affairs Officer- Kate Bartlett.
This contest helped the participants discover the things they should pay more attention to in order to improve their English. They enjoyed it and expressed their willingness to participate in other English contests!
Congratulations to all the winners and good luck to all the participants in all their future endeavors!
We are very grateful to the Access Alumni and the PCVs from Calarasi, Deeporne Beardsley, and Comrat, Elisa Black, as well as the Fulbright scholar from Comrat, Karissa Jackson, for their collaboration and help in the organization of this event in their communities!
Visit photo gallery of the event